How To Make A Difference Right Now
It’s hard to know what we can do sometimes. The world changes and we just feel stuck or lost.
Whether it seems large or small though, everything helps.
Gathered from friends and people I follow, these are some ideas to help now. Ways you can give, volunteer, effectively talk to government, new projects and more.
- Stand up for people. People you know and strangers.
- Befriend them, especially when they need it most. This is helpful: http://www.attn.com/stories/11075/tumblr-comic-on-how-to-confront-islamophobia
- Connect with people through music. Dumbledore calls it “a magic beyond all we do here”, after all.
- Find somewhere to volunteer for a cause that needs our voices. For example, refugees in San Antonio: http://www.sarefugees.org
- Buy one item of food a week and give them at when the opportunity arises. Then you’re focusing on giving all year long. http://jackiemcg.com/buy-one-give-one/
- Similarly, set aside money every month to give to your favorite or local charities. Put it in your budget to make sure you remember.
- Check out/start a mentoring program in schools in your area.
- This new Bridge Builder project: http://beabridgebuilder.com/
- Resist fear, teach your kids to love, create and learn to love others we disagree with: http://matthewpaulturner.com/2016/11/11/im-going-move-forward-post-election-plan/
- Effectively talk to your members of congress (FANTASTIC thread: https://storify.com/editoremilye/i-worked-for-congress-for-six-years)
[Ideas added 14 November]
My post: “Why Trump Could Be Great for Feminism.” Seriously https://t.co/iiZeHh3qmc
— Sallie Krawcheck (@SallieKrawcheck) November 14, 2016
Fascinating article with a surprising thesis and suggestion of what can be done. https://t.co/J53xKd23iw
— Nate Pyle (@NatePyle79) November 14, 2016
A very simple thing you can do to help refugees right here in San Antonio: https://t.co/i9Xm4ZbnOd
— David McGinnis (@dav_mcg) November 15, 2016
If you have more ideas, please share them in the comments! I would love to hear stories too.
When we all do this together… we can make a difference. Your voice and actions, no matter how small and quiet… they matter.
P.S. Don’t forget to breathe.
Very invested in this gif right now. pic.twitter.com/DssPEIZUC8
— Leah Reich (@ohheygreat) November 9, 2016